Proven Sales Impact through Media Mix Model Analysis:
When Neutrogena launched its newest sunscreen – Pure & Free Baby – they needed to get the word out about this product that gives moms exactly what they are looking for: powerful sun protection with naturally sourced ingredients and no chemicals, fragrances or dyes. But their objective was not just to create awareness and social dialog. They needed to drive measureable sales impact.
Neutrogena turned to BzzAgent to activate consumer recommendations, accelerate them through social media and drive sales. But they wouldn’t just take our word that the campaign worked. They put data gathered from the campaign through a rigorous Media Mix Model (MMM) analysis conducted by third-party analytics company, Genpact, to measure incremental product sales directly attributable to the BzzAgent program.
BzzAgent’s program strategy started with recruitment. We knew we needed moms. Good thing we have a lot of them. We identified the best-fit moms from our network of 700,000+ influential consumers: those with children 3 months to 6 years old.
Our next task was honing the right message. We identified a combination of messages that captured a mom’s attention and made the product easy to recommend:
- Purescreen: Neutrogena’s exclusive delivery technology that sets this product apart from the competition
- Ingredients: What’s on the ingredient list and what’s not
- Easy application: Goes on with no white buildup
We know that when moms try something, see that it works and like it, they’ll recommend it to all their mom friends (or any mom for that matter). So the third prong of our strategy was to get the product in the hands of moms. The Pure & Free Baby program included physical sampling to all participants. Each mom received an exclusive kit containing:
- 1 full-size product
- 1 sample size
- 5 high-value pass-along coupons
The campaign ran for 8 weeks for participants to try the product and spread the word.
Objective: Drive Sales at Product Launch
BzzAgent provided detailed campaign data to Neutrogena’s analytics partner, Genpact. Genpact’s analysis isolated our program’s contribution to sales showing the BzzCampaign achieved:
- Incremental sales volume: each dollar spent on our program generated attributable increases to sales and revenue
- ROI: the campaign drive a positive return, and the ROI generated was highly effective and efficient versus other media
What drove this sales impact? The influential recommendations by Agents in the campaign.In total, Agents reached 190,000 people via in-person recommendations. Each participant influenced over 59 conversations, via in-person recommendations alone:
- 5,600+ reports about conversations submitted to BzzAgent
- 80% of people reached had not heard of Pure & Free Baby
- 95% were parents of babies; 60% were first-time parents
Agents reached tens of thousands more through digital dialog. These online recommendations were accelerated through social media, where participants influenced purchase decisions via blog posts, discussions on BabyCenter, and reviews on drugstore.com, for example.
With these lasting digital impressions, the campaign continues to influence consumer purchase decisions.ReTweet