If there’s anything more fun than seeing enthusiastic entrepreneurs get cash to build their business, it’s got to be seeing them negotiate a deal with an investor. That’s what BzzAgent’s Shark Tank Live at FutureM was all about last week. It was a fantastic event that exceeded all expectations – especially for the 6 startups that took the stage.
The investors, led by BzzAgent’s Dave Balter, had committed $100,000 to these startups. But at the end of the night, almost $450,000 was distributed. Here’s how the money was distributed in the tank:
- Timbre – the local music mobile app was the big winner of the night, taking in a total of $350,000 – $150,000 from Dave Balter and Boston Seed Capital and $200,000 from Fred Destin at Atlas.
- Jebbit – this unique digital marketing tool received $29,000 from Dharmesh Shah
- Coachup – the sports coaching site received $28,000 from Dharmesh Shah, in addition to follow up meetings with CommonAngels, NextView, and Jean Hammond.
- NBD Nano, the company that “pulls water from the air”, received $25,000 from Boston Seed.
- Sidewalk – the local business marketing site received $10,000 from Gus Weber of Polaris Ventures
- Arcbazar - the architectural design site didn’t receive a financial commitment, but they saw a lot of interest from Atlas, Google Ventures, and Intel Capital. But they didn’t leave empty handed. Event supporter, UK Trade & Investment (UKTI), donated an expenses paid trip to London for them them to meet with investors and other multinational startups.
The timed (and obviously very well-rehearsed) presentations from each startup were fascinating, but the highlight of the night for those in attendance was the lively investor cross-examinations and the financial negotiations that played out live on the stage. Follow the play-by-play from those tweeting live from the event with #bostonsharks, and check out some pictures of the night below.
Here are some scenes from the night:
We had a lot of media interest in this as well, here’s some of their coverage:
The Boston Globe: “Start-ups dive into pitches in Boston’s ‘Shark Tank’
Entrepreneur: “How Shark Tank Is Changing Angel Investing”
VentureFizz: “Great Night for Timbre, CoachUp at Boston Shark Tank”
WeLoveBeanTown: “Boston Shark Tank – The Work Week’s Best Party? I Think So.”
What would FutureM be without a BzzAgent bash? After the party, sharks of all kinds came out to Firebrand Saints for a night of great food and drinks like the “Great White Shark Hunt” and of course, the “Angel Investor form Hell“. We’ve got some great pictures below, but you really need to follow along with the #sharkfiletshow tweets.